Hazardous Waste Day
For event dates/details follow Mini HHWD link
To receive notifications of alternative event / day please download our free smartphone App, called "LowellRecycle." Enter your address and you will receive Updates/Alerts when made available. Invites to the 'replacement' event will only be made via the App.
The City of Lowell routinely coordinates several Household Hazardous Waste Days per year as an opportunity for residents to remove household hazardous waste from their home, instead of just throwing it out with the trash - which is illegal.
Household Hazardous Waste Days are announced in advance on the City's website, as well as through the Solid Waste and Recycling Newsletter, and email subscription list.
Regional Hazardous Waste Drop-Off
Did you either miss the Household Hazardous Waste Day or are you unable to wait for the next one? Lowell residents are welcome to visit the regional site below... [Please visit their individual websites details, services, directions, collection dates, times & FEES]:
Lexington Minuteman Hazardous Products Regional Facility:
(subject to a non-Lexington resident fee) Saturday's 9 AM - 2PM. Minuteman.
General Overview of Lowell's Household Hazardous Waste Day
The following items are accepted for a FEE (cash only):
- $15 each: Passenger Tires (off rim)
- $40 each: TV / Monitor /Console - any size
- Household Chemicals $2 / lb or gal
- Automotive Fluids $2 / lb or gal
|Poisons||Latex (acrylic) or dry it out and put it in the trash||Auto battery|
|Herbicide /Pesticide / Fungicide||Oil-based Paint||Passenger Tires (off rim)|
|Pool Chemicals||Stain / Varnish||Gasoline / Brake / Transmission Fluids|
|Ammonia / Bleach||Thinner / Solvents / Strippers||Antifreeze / oil (mixed)|
|Photo Chemicals||Lead paint||Radiator Flush|
|Drano / Cleaners||Furniture / Floor & Metal Polish||Degreasers|
|Acids (corrosives, i.e. cesspool cleaners)||Electronic Waste||Mattress & Box Springs|
|Aerosols cans (with product)||DVD, VCR, CV, DVR, VHS|
|Hobby supplies (rubber cement, airplane glue, etc.)||TV / Monitors / CPU / Laptop|
|Nail Polish Remover / Hair Dye||Microwave Oven|
|Whiteners / Brighteners||A/C, Dehumidifier, Water Cooler|
- Used / Waste Motor Oil
- Lead-Acid Batteries (auto, motorcycle, security alarm, etc.)
- Empty or Partially Empty Propane Tanks (1 lb & 20 lbs.)
- Bring your mercury fever thermometers to exchange for digital thermometers for free
- Hypodermic Needles (aka Sharps) - In puncture proof containers.
- Mercury and Mercury devices, including Compact Florescent Lamps (CFLs), Linear Bulbs (e.g., 4, 6, and 8 foot bulbs), Thermometers, Thermostats, and Hg Switches
- Batteries (including all rechargeable, specialty, and button batteries); note that Alkaline Batteries (regular A, AA, AAA, C, D, 9 Volt) are not considered hazardous and may be disposed of with your regular trash
- Cell Phones (with or without chargers / accessories)
Hazardous Waste Items You Should Not Bring
These items will not be accepted - please refer to our Hazardous Waste page for additional information on these materials.
- Alkaline Batteries -These go in the regular trash
- Commercial, Construction, or Industrial Waste
- Explosives, Fireworks, or Ammunition
- Latex Paint
- Smoke Detectors -These go in the regular trash
- Radioactive Waste
- Infectious and Biological Waste