The Lord Overpass was originally constructed in 1959 and is now City owned. The overpass is a grade separated diamond interchange between Thorndike Street, Middlesex Street and Appleton Street/Chelmsford Street.
The Lord Overpass is comprised of a rotary with four closely spaced, signalized intersections. Sidewalks are provided on both sides of the roadways forming the square, with raised traffic islands provided at two of the four intersections.
The Lord Overpass today is functionally and structurally deficient.
As part of the improvements necessary for the Hamilton Canal Innovation District (HCID) redevelopment and Judicial Center projects, a new intersection is necessary to connect Jackson Street extension to Fletcher Street and Thorndike/Dutton Streets. This new intersection would be the 'front-door' to the HCID and Judicial Center. Thousands of people on a daily basis would use this new intersection to access the new commercial, retail, residential, and social-services available in the HCID.
View public participation process, design elements, and conceptual designs on the Lord Overpass Presentation of Concepts page.
The City of Lowell, through its Department of Planning and Development (DPD) has undertaken a design process which includes extensive public participation in order to upgrade the Thorndike/Dutton Street corridor.
The City will continue to accept comments about the three concepts via the Lord Overpass email.