- Parking & Garages
- Reserved Dwelling Parking Program
Reserved Dwelling Parking Program (Green and White Signs)
In accordance with the City of Lowell Code of Ordinance Section 266-85, each house with frontage on a street or public way may have one parking space reserved on that street or public way for the residents of the house.
1. Completed Application
2. Drivers License (color copy if mailed)
3. Proof of Residency. (new applicants only)
- Property owner: copy of City tax bill or City water bill
- Renter: copy of signed lease
4. Fee of $10.00. (Cash or check made out to "City of Lowell")
Individuals participating in the Reserved Dwelling Parking Program must adhere to the following regulations:
- Only one space may be reserved per property, regardless of the number of units.
- The property must have 20 feet of legal lot frontage and able to accommodate a standard 20 foot legal parking space along that frontage.
- Properties in the South End/Back Central Neighborhood are not eligible for a reserved parking space if there is a driveway or other off-street parking available on the property or available for rent, lease or ownership elsewhere in the Neighborhood.
- The reserved parking space sign is issued by the City of Lowell. Only City issued signs are valid and will be enforced.
- The reserved parking sign reserves only one on-street parallel parking space of standard width centered on the location of the sign and running 20 feet along the curbline or roadway.
- The reserved parking space sign must be placed in a permanent location visible from the street and the parking space, affixed to a fence, post or other legal exterior location. It may not be installed on a telephone pole, public sign pole, tree, or within a building. The sign cannot be moved arbitrarily and will be voided out if moved.
- The reserved parking space must be located such that the remaining unreserved legal on-street parking along the frontage is maximized.
- The reserved parking space does not supersede other parking regulations or restrictions set by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or the City of Lowell.
- Reserved parking spaces are registered with the City and expire each year. Parking spaces are valid through the last day of the month in the year indicated by registration stickers on the sign. Sign registration may be renewed each year.
- Anyone parking in the reserved space not living at the property for which the space is reserved shall be subject to fines of $25 for the first offense, $50 for the second or subsequent offenses, and/or subject to removal through towing.
- Display of a cancelled revoked, expired or unauthorized sign shall be subject to fines of $300.
- Reserved Parking signs issued by the City prior to July 2012 will not be valid after December 13, 2012.
Report Unauthorized Parking
To Report an Unauthorized Car Parked in Reserved Parking Space contact the Lowell Police Department at 978-937-3200.
If you have additional comments, questions, or concerns, please contact the Parking and Garages Department at 978-674-4014 for assistance.