- Planning & Development
Planning & Development
The Department of Planning and Development staff considers it an honor to serve the City of Lowell, a city with a great American past and a bright future. We are working continuously with the help of the public, City Hall, the private sector, and other partners, to create a “lifetime city” for people of various backgrounds to live and work in.
Through Community Development, Developmental Services, Economic Development, Housing and Energy, Lead Paint Abatement, Traffic and Transportation, and our various Planning Projects and other Department Services and financial assistance programs, we hope to plan and develop a city that will bring pride to Lowellians.
We are committed to preserving and enhancing the quality of community life, as well as natural and built environments in Lowell through the evaluation of land-development and use proposals for adherence to the goals and objectives of the City's Master Plan and Zoning Code.
If you would like more information about Building or Health Permitting, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, or Conservation Commission Permitting, please follow this link for Development Services Permitting Information.
General Planning Development Documents
- Existing Conditions Report 2011 (PDF)
- Master Plan-1-Introduction (PDF)
- Master Plan-2-Sustainable Neighborhoods (PDF)
- Master Plan-3-Housing Choice (PDF)
- Master Plan-4-Mobility and Access (PDF)
- Master Plan-5-Vibrant and Unique Urban Hub (PDF)
- Master Plan-6-Healthy and Sustainable Local Economy (PDF)
- Master Plan-7-Environmental Resilience (PDF)
- Master Plan-8-Effective Operations, Infrastructure and Technology (PDF)
- Master Plan-9-Sustained Public Engagement (PDF)
- Plan Implementation (PDF)
- Public Opinion Existing Conditions Presentation (PDF)
- Public Opinion Report 2011 (PDF)
Urban Revitalization & Development
- Acre Urban Revitalization and Development Plan (PDF)
- Acre Urban Revitalization and Development Plan Appendices (PDF)
- Ayers City Industrial Park Urban Revitalization and Development Plan Compressed (PDF)
- Ayers City Industrial Park Urban Revitalization and Development Plan High Res (PDF)
- City of Lowell Master Plan Update Existing Conditions Dec. 2011 (PDF)
- Hamilton Canal District Master Plan Compressed (PDF)
- Hamilton Canal District Off Site Traffic Improvements (PDF)
- Jackson Appleton Middlesex [JAM] Urban Revitalization Plan (PDF)
- Smart Growth America - Small-Scale Manufacturing and Place-Based Economic Development