Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

I saw a rodent in my home or in my yard. Who do I call?

If you notice any evidence of rodent activity on your property, contact a professional exterminator to properly eradicate the issue. Exterminators can be found in the local phone book or online. Ask to see proof of MA state licensure for pest control before you sign a service contract.

Who do I contact if I have concerns about rodents or health issues on private property?

The Division of Development Services is responsible for the enforcement of the State Sanitary Code.  Private Property owners are responsible for keeping their properties and buildings/rental units safe and healthy as specified by state and local codes.  To report a rodent or health concern, please call 978-674-4144 or .

Who should I contact if I see rodents on public property?

The Division of Development Services will conduct inspections when rodents are reported on public streets, sidewalks, parks, plazas, and other public spaces.  To report a rodent or health concern, please call 978-674-4144 or . 

What happens after I report a rodent issue to the City?

Every rodent complaint is reviewed and inspected by the Division of Development Services. If the rodent issue is on public land (including city streets), the City has a contract with a professional exterminator and will bait the area as deemed necessary by the City. If the complaint is on private property, Development Services will enforce the State Sanitary Code and local ordinances when applicable, up to and including requiring private landowners to bait their property as deemed necessary for public health.