File a Housing Discrimination Complaint

Please visit our Fair Housing page for to help identify if you have been the victim of housing discrimination! If you believe that you were a victim of housing discrimination be sure to write down the details and then take action.

You may file a complaint with both the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)

MCAD handles all discrimination complaints that fall under state law as well as violations of the federal Fair Housing Act.


  • Complaints of housing discrimination must be filed within 6 months of the most recent violation.
  • For more information contact:
    • MCAD located at:
      • MCAD
        One Ashburton Place
        Sixth Floor, Room 601
        Boston, MA 02108
        Phone: 617-994-6000

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)

HUD is the federal agency which receives and investigates housing discrimination complaints that violate federal law.


  • Complaints must be filed with HUD within one year of the most recent violation.
  • For more information contact the HUD Fair Housing Discrimination Hotline at 800-669-9777 or TDD 800-669-9275
  • You may also contact the HUD Regional Office in Boston at:
    • Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr.
      Federal Building
      10 Causeway Street
      Room 321
      Boston, MA 02222
      Phone: 800-827-5005

Fair Housing Center of Greater Boston (FHCGB)

The FHCGB is a private advocacy organization for victims of housing discrimination.


  • It can assist you with filing a complaint in court or with MCAD or HUD, and may act as an advocate on your behalf.
  • The address and contact information for the FHCGB is:
    • FHCGB
      59 Temple Place
      Number 1105
      Boston, MA 02111
      Phone: 671-399-0491
      TTY: 800-439-2370

Benefits of Filing a Housing Discrimination Complaint

If you challenge discriminatory housing practices and your claim is informally settled or you receive a favorable decision by a court you could receive:
  • The housing you wanted.
  • Compensation for costs such as temporary housing or moving expenses.
  • Compensation for any emotional damages suffered as a result of the discrimination.
  • An order prohibiting future discrimination or requiring the owner/agent to rent to other qualified home-seekers who are members of a protected class.
  • Your attorney's fees paid.
  • Satisfaction of knowing that you challenged discrimination and that other people may not go through the pain and frustration you experienced.

Additional Information

If you have additional comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact the Community Development Department via 978-674-4252.