The Merrimack-Middle Streets Historic District is significant as the heart of Lowell’s central business district. Buildings found in the district date primarily from the 1830s to the early 1900s and include examples of many architectural styles including Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Anne, Romanesque, and Renaissance Revival as well as an early, prototypical skyscraper. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 with a boundary increase in 1988, the district includes 67 structures.
Nesmith Block (1836), 83 Merrimack Street
Robbins Block (ca. 1855), 104 Merrimack Street
Hildreth Building (1884), 45 Merrimack Street
Detail, Central Fire Station (1889), Palmer Street
Simpson and Rowland Building (1891), 80 Middle Street
Pollard Exchange (1891), 55 Middle Street
Sun Building (1914), 2 Merrimack Street
The district is also located within the boundaries of the National Register-listed Lowell National Historical Park & Preservation District (1978) as well as the Downtown Lowell Historic District (1983), a historic and architectural review district under the jurisdiction of the Lowell Historic Board.