Safe Driving Tips
The LPD encourages all residents to review the safe driving tips listed below:
- Do not speed. Please follow the posted speed limit on all roadways.
- Follow all road signs and traffic signals
- Remember to wear your seatbelt. According to the NHTSA, seatbelts saved approximately 15,000 lives in 2017.
- Please pay attention while you are driving. The Massachusetts Hands-Fee Driving Law when into effect on February 23, 2020. The use of any electronic device is prohibited while operating a motor vehicle. For additional information, please visit Mass.gov.
- Follow all pedestrian and bicycle laws while driving.
- Drivers in Massachusetts are required to yield to pedestrians. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to $200. (MGL Chapter 89 Section 11)
- Drivers passing other vehicles, including a bicyclist, must do so at a safe distance. If there is not enough room to safely pass the bicyclist, wait until it is safe to do so (MGL Chapter 89 Section 2)
- Drivers in Massachusetts must slow down when passing a bicyclist on the road (MGL Chapter 90 Section 14)
- Drive sober or get pulled over. If you’ve had too much to drink, please use a designated driver, taxi, or rideshare program for a ride home.